fbpx
Shop Now
Register Your Token

How to tell my kids what happened/is happening to our dog??

Forums Loss of a Pet How to tell my kids what happened/is happening to our dog??

Viewing 3 reply threads

• Participant

We know we have limited time left with our 13 year old pup that has cancer. I want our kids (Age 5 and 7) to know that he is no longer with us (I don’t want to lie and tell them he “went to live on a farm”, but I also don’t want to share the nitty gritty details of the fact that I’m taking him to the vet to “kill him”. Has anyone else found a good way to deal with this dilemma?

• Kyle W
        Participant

So sorry to hear that! If they know of anyone else who has passed away you could say that they needed company and so you’re going to send them your pup for comfort.

• Jes T
        Participant

I believe that honesty is the best policy. I know there are lots of books on explaining these types of things to kids. I would see what you can find and start talking about it now. Prepare them for the loss and show them how they can help make the family pup more comfortable and feel all the love it can before it is gone. I have found that letting them be part of the process in a good way can be the most helpful.

• Elizabeth H
        Participant

I agree, honesty is the best policy. I recently lost both of my dogs—12 years and 15 years—that I had since they were puppies. The poem Rainbow Bridge was sent to me by the vets we used, and it is quite comforting. I will happily put a copy on this forum if you haven’t seen it before. It’s a lovely way to think that those pets are just waiting on the “other side” for all of us.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Forums Loss of a Pet How to tell my kids what happened/is happening to our dog??